Cilantro lime coleslaw is the perfect side to serve with grilled steak, barbecue chicken, pulled pork, or fish tacos. The combination of cilantro and lime gives this slaw a bright, zesty flavor.
Why You'll Love This Coleslaw Recipe
Cilantro lime coleslaw is a refreshing and easy summer side dish. You only a few simple ingredients, and it takes less than 10 minutes to make. This coleslaw can be made ahead of time and refrigerated until ready to serve.
- Easy to make: This coleslaw comes together in under 30 minutes, making it perfect for busy weeknights.
- Perfect for summer potlucks and barbecues: This coleslaw is a refreshing and flavorful addition to any summer gathering. It's sure to be a hit with your friends and family.
- Flavorful and refreshing: The combination of tangy lime juice, fresh cilantro, and a touch of sweetness creates a bright and refreshing flavor that perfectly complements grilled meats, tacos, burgers, and more.
- Economical: This coleslaw is a very affordable side dish to make. It requires mostly inexpensive ingredients that you can easily find at your local grocery store.
Pile some on our Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Pork Sliders, along side Air Fryer Turkey Burgers, or serve as a salad with a Smoked Brisket Flat. It's super easy to make and sure to be a hit at your next barbecue!
Ingredients For Cilantro Lime Coleslaw
You can make this completely by scratch and shred your green cabbage, red cabbage, and carrots, or you can do like I usually do and buy the bag already shredded. This coleslaw will be wonderful either way!
- Shredded cabbage - either use a food processor or mandolin and shred your own cabbage blend, or purchase a bag of fresh shredded cabbage coleslaw blend.
- Mayonnaise - don't use Miracle Whip or "salad dressing". Real mayonnaise is key.
- Cilantro - fresh chopped.
- Lime juice and Lime zest - grate the lime before slicing and juicing it. Save the left over zest in your freezer for another recipe, like our No Bake Key Lime Pie!
- Rice Vinegar - rice vinegar has a less acidic edge. You can use apple cider vinegar if you don't have rice vinegar.
- Garlic powder - usually I prefer fresh garlic. In this dressing though, garlic powder dissolves and doesn't leave bits of garlic in the dressing. This is a perfect use for garlic powder.
- Green Onions - fresh scallions, sliced thinly will work perfectly.
Full ingredient amounts and preparation instructions are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
How To Make Cilantro Lime Coleslaw
Cilantro lime coleslaw is the perfect side to serve with grilled steak, barbecue chicken, or Chili Lime Shrimp Tacos. The combination of cilantro and lime gives this slaw a bright, zesty flavor.
Prepare the Coleslaw dressing
- Roll the lime on the counter using some pressure to soften it. It will let it release more lime juice. Zest the lime first, as zesting two wet halves will result in knuckle scrapes! After zesting the lime, slice it in half and juice it.
- Combine all the ingredients except the shredded cabbage mixture into a mixing bowl.
- Mix all the ingredients for the dressing well.
Add The Shredded Cabbage
- Put the shredded coleslaw mixture (the package of shredded cabbage) into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the coleslaw dressing on top of the shredded coleslaw mix.
Blend Coleslaw and Cilantro Lime Dressing
- Toss the salad dressing into the coleslaw blend.
- Chill for an hour or so to let the flavors in the cilantro lime dressing marry.
Cilantro lime coleslaw's versatility shines through its diverse serving options. From taco fillings to sandwich toppings, it elevates any dish with its fresh and vibrant flavor.
Pair it with classic taco fillings like grilled chicken or fish, or use it to add a refreshing touch to pulled pork and barbecued ribs.
You can serve your cilantro lime coleslaw immediately, or you can chill it so the flavors blend together more.
- If you are not a fan of cilantro, you can leave it out for a classic style coleslaw.
- If you are looking for a coleslaw dressing recipe without mayonnaise, plain Greek yogurt is a great substitution.
- We have a recipe for making your own yogurt also. It is our Lactose Free Yogurt recipe, but you can also use regular milk for the same results.
Some variation on this coleslaw recipe are as follows:
- Honey Lime Coleslaw - omit the cilantro and increase the honey to 3 tablespoons total.
- Spicy Coleslaw - Omit the cilantro or keep it, but shred a jalapeno with your mini food chopper.
- Add diced Avocados - After blending your cilantro lime coleslaw, add a diced avocado into it.
- Shred extra vegetables - Try some thinly shredded red onion, bell peppers, or even jicama.
- You can store this coleslaw in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Coleslaw does not freeze well. The mayonnaise will separate and turn the salad into a soupy mess with the wilted cabbage.
Tips for Success
- Zest the Lime first before juicing it.
- Roll the lime so it softens and juices more juice.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can leave it out completely, or you can substitute it for a Monk fruit, or even orange juice.
Yes, you can leave the cilantro out. Some people are super tasters and cilantro has a soapy taste to them.
More Delish Ideas
Cilantro Lime Coleslaw
- 16 oz bag of shredded coleslaw mix
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 green onions, sliced thin
- zest of one lime (zest first, then juice)
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Using a large mixing bowl combine the mayonnaise, cilantro, lime zest, lime juice, honey, rice vinegar, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and green onions in a large bowl. Mix well.1 cup mayonnaise, ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped, 2 green onions, sliced thin, zest of one lime, 1 lime, juiced, 2 teaspoon honey, 1 teaspoon rice vinegar, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon black pepper, ¼ teaspoon salt
- Add the shredded coleslaw mix to the bowl of dressing. Stir together well. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.16 oz bag of shredded coleslaw mix
- You can serve this immediately, but if you chill it for about 20 minutes flavors blend together even better.