Wings are a party favorite, and with the Instant Pot, they're easier than ever to make. These Instant Pot buffalo wings are cooked in the pressure cooker and then crisped under the broiler after being tossed in a delicious sauce.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
This popular appetizer is even Keto friendly also, and always pairs well with a homemade Blue Cheese or Ranch dressing to dip them in.
You can even make them ahead of time and reheat them when you're ready to eat. So bring on the football games and potlucks - these finger licking buffalo chicken wings will be sure to please!
Best of all, they're ready to serve in under 36 minutes. Perfect for those hot days when you don't want the kitchen oven to heat up the house.
Ingredients You Will Need
- Chicken Wings
- Garlic Powder
- Black pepper
- Franks hot sauce, or your favorite (Tabasco, Louisiana, etc.)
- Celery for garnish
- Ranch or Blue Cheese dressing (your favorite one)
Start with the raw chicken wings. Cut the tips off and separate the wingettes and drumettes at the joint. Save the wing tips to make Instant Pot Chicken Bone Broth or chicken stock.
The diagram below shows the approximate locations for cutting through the joints. You will feel the knife give and cut easily through the joint sections when you have the right spots.
Full ingredient amounts and preparation instructions are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
How To Make Instant Pot Chicken Buffalo Wings
Coated in an irresistible spicy hot sauce blend and these buffalo chicken wings are so tender that they almost melt in your mouth!
Plus, thanks to the Instant Pot cooking technology, they take much less time than traditional oven-baked versions – no more waiting around for hours before digging into something savory and flavorful.
Trim The Chicken Wings
- Wash the chicken wings and lay them out on a cutting board.
- Separate the wings at the joints.
Cook In The Instant Pot
- Toss in a bowl with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Spread the wing pieces out on a rack in the bottom of the Instant Pot.
Crisp In The Oven
- After processing and depressurizing, remove from Instant Pot and toss with prepared sauce.
- Place a baking sheet after coated with sauce. Broil a few minutes on each side until crispy.
When broiling, you will remove them when crisp on one side. Flip them over and repeat the broiling process. Garnish with more Buffalo sauce, Ranch, or Blue Cheese dressings.
Hint: Want a fast and easy clean up? Place foil on the baking sheet before adding the rack and sauce covered wings.
Serve with a side of our Instant Pot Easy Mac and Cheese, a refreshing Watermelon Fruit Salad, and of course, don't forget to save room for dessert! Our Fresh Peach Pie Crumble would be a great choice.
Our Instant Pot Corn on the Cob is a natural pairing with Buffalo Chicken Wings!
You can substitute chicken wings that are already separated. They are available fresh or frozen at many supermarkets. It can save you a lot of time if you have a big crowd to prepare Buffalo Chicken wings for!
Try making Instant Pot Chicken wings with other sauces. Or, simply use your favorite barbecue sauce.
- Honey Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings - Try our recipe for making oven baked honey lemon pepper chicken wings.
- Soy Garlic Chicken Wings - And, if you love a Asian flair, you'll love our recipe for soy garlic chicken wings, also super easy!
Equipment can have a big impact on how a recipe turns out. Below are some of my favorite pieces of equipment that I use when making this recipe for instant pot buffalo chicken wings.
Tips For Success
Buffalo Chicken wings also are Keto diet friendly. Your Keto friends will really appreciate having something low carb for them to snack on at the party also.
Frequently Asked Questions
You won't be able to cook your chicken wings in under 30 minutes, but you can still make them. Place your wings in a baking pan, season, and cover with foil. Bake for 60 minutes at 325. Instructions are the same after cooking the wings in the oven.
If you want hotter than Franks (or Tabasco, Louisiana, etc. brands of hot sauce), than try adding either Cayenne chili powder, Chipotle chili powder, or Peri Peri sauce. All three are hotter, in increasing order!
Yes, absolutely. These would still make a great appetizer, but also a nice full size meal!
There are about 4 full size raw chicken wings per pound. Each wing makes 2 pieces of cooked Buffalo chicken wings. 10 lbs of raw wings would have approximately 40 wings, or 80 cooked pieces. As an appetizer or with other party foods, allow 4 pieces, or 2 raw wings per person. 10 lbs of wings would then feed about 20 to 24 people as a party appetizer.
Some Other Recipes We Are Sure You Will Love
Finger Licking Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Wings
- Instant Pot Duo Plus 6 Quart 9-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker, Warmer & Sterilizer, 15 One-Touch Programs,Stainless Steel/Black
For the Buffalo Wings
- 1 ½ pounds raw chicken wings about 6
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper ground
- ½ cup water
- Celery for garnish
- Blue Cheese or Ranch dressing for dipping
For the Sauce
- ⅓ cup Franks Hot Sauce
- 3 Tablespoons butter melted
- ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
- Sprinkle wings with the garlic powder and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Place metal rack inside Instant Pot® and add the water. Arrange seasoned wings on top of the rack before securing the cover in place. Switch the vent to “Sealing” and adjust the “Manual” setting to 8 minutes.
- While the wings cook, whisk the Frank’s hot sauce, melted butter, and remaining garlic powder in a medium bowl until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- When done cooking, allow pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes, then do a quick release for any remaining steam. Carefully remove lid and transfer
wings to a large bowl. Set aside until just cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, position top oven rack in the top position and pre-heat broiler to high. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a wire cooling rack on top. Set aside.
- Pour ⅓ of the buffalo sauce on top of the wings and toss to coat. Transfer the wings to the wire rack on the prepared baking sheet and place under the broiler for 3-4 minutes or until the wings start to get crispy and develop some color. Turn the wings and repeat this process.
- Remove baking sheet from oven and toss the wings with half of the remaining buffalo sauce. Serve immediately with sliced celery and the remaining sauce on the side for dipping. Enjoy!
- You can save time by buying already trimmed chicken wings.
- Save the wing tips in your freezer to make a chicken stock or bone broth.
- If starting with frozen chicken wings, add 3 minutes to the Instant Pot cook time.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C).
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat.
- Wash hands after touching raw meat.
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods.
- Never leave cooking food unattended.
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds.
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove.